❝ Welcome to Linnhearts' Story❞
Home Facebook Twitter Instagram Events Reviews
Secrets of a Ugly Duckling posted at 12:28 PM

Ok, it's that time of year where people reminiscence about their past year and make new goals in life. Not that all the goals are followed through... but you know, it's tradition. haha.

Anyway, the main thing is that I know that 2013 will be the best year yet! Not going to list my goals here, in case I decide to backfire it...

Anyway, I thought I'll start my first post of the year with looking back at how I changed. And I mean physically. I went to dig some old pictures and lo and behold... So many weird pictures. So here are pictures for your enjoying pleasure over how much I've changed and most importantly how I didn't realize I was so... er... ugly then. haha. I can't believe I thought I was *ahem* pretty.

Thank God I know what is this amazing thing called Skin care and Make up now!

Now, feel free to laugh at all the pictures. Because I definitely did when I saw it.

In case you're wondering why Im typing so much, I'm trying to prolong the image that you might see later. haha....

Let me tell you first that you are forewarned that it's not good looking...

You sure you still want to stay here...?

Very sure?!?!

Fine... You've been forewarned!

(But do stay around to the end if you are reading! Will be sharing tips!)


In 2005

1@e$.3FOWUVGFB;AWE\]-23U5T2]9-4U56\DEGVa?!? I can't even...

What's with the weird middle parting and tan skin...... OMG... fashion sense zero. Also, the double eyelid like non-existence.


In 2006 

Somehow the hair cut was still ok but tan skin (T.T) Somehow... I think I look like a maid here (T.T)


In 2007 

This was taken at a party. BAD BAD BAD makeup. So little fringe but the good news was that my skin got lighter ^^

In 2008 

Taken at school. Skin got tan again (T.T) Bad haircut. I thought it was cool then. i think the real reason that my hair was cut like that was to cover all the stupid pimples that I had... Anyway, again, looking like a maid (T.T) Oh not to mention my backbone had some problems back then..

After graduating with O levels, I started looking at fashion magazines and got interested in Cosplay. It was like a slap to the face on how delusion I was, thinking I was... *cough* pretty. So I did the first step (or at least I thought It was) dying my hair.


Late 2008

I dyed my hair with strips of red and orange. I seriously thought that I was hip and cool. OMG... what was I thinking?! I went around "flipping my hair back and forth" and there were people actually commenting that it was nice. Ok... Too many nice people around me giving nice comments. haha... Anyway, here you can see my double eyelid a bit... But so hidden. haha


 
In 2009 

After looking at Japanese models for a while, I decided to dye my hair to a bright orangey yellow colour. Started to experiment more make up as well. Not good but also not super bad. This was also when I knew that hair plays a very important part to the face as well.


Late 2009 

Dyed my hair back to a darker shade, watched make up Youtube videos non-stop and finally a decent picture with make up on. This is the first time I tried to curl my hair as well. Unfortunately, FAIL.


I believe somewhere in 2010...

Saw my idols, Yutakis and Miyake! When I see them up close, I really wanted to cry. THEY LOOK SO PREFECT. Great fashion, great hair, great people. It was like a dream come true seeing people in Singapore able to achieve great style and look so great. It was then, I told myself that I wanted to work on my own style as well and hopefully one day able to carry off their Japanese style fashion.

In this year, I used double eyelid stickers to enhance it.


In 2011, With the lovely Yan Kay Kay!

I dyed my hair to a bright yellow blonde and fashion sense have definitely become better! I also had braces which helped to improve my jawline!


In 2012 

I dyed my hair to a darker brown because I thought blonde would be too outlandish for the graduation. haha.




2012 was also the year I did more photo shoots...


Here's me with minimal make up. Skin brighter and look healthier. Face shape has definitely changed as well due to braces. Let me tell you that braces was probably one of the best decisions I have ever done. It helped my jawline become more 'V' shape and improved my overall face shape.


In 2013

Fairer skin, better make up... definitely on the road to better Japanese-y feel. haha. By the way, somehow I think with brighter hair colours, it's like an instant cheat sheet for Japanese-y feel.

You can see that from 2010, all the months of using double eyelids stickers has paid off. Now, it's permanently having nice double eyelids ^^
.
.
.
.
.

So how does a ugly duckling evolve to look better? Here's my secret.

1. Be ultimately VAIN. 
A) To get good pictures, first know your good side.
I used to spend hours in front of the mirror and camera just to see which side looks nicer. Then, it was to help with my modelling job. Now it's for the sake of good self-taken pictures. And being super super vain.

B) Poses
To look good on camera, relax and find a few good poses that you like to use. For me, I tend to add stress to my lips so it took me awhile to relax in pictures. Be 'Buay Paiseh!'

C) Confidence
By being vain, you'll slowly but surely see results. Let this boost your confidence level when you see results! Confidence shows in your personality and pictures! 

2. Hard work 
You might have gotten the idea from point 1 that you have to do quite a number of steps just to be vain. Here's some more...

A) Healthy body
The unattainable small body from the magazines - If you're looking to an unattainable diet, don't. What you see from magazines I can't say much on this because I've been blessed with a small built and personally I am not that healthy, but I do know a healthy body range causes yourself to be happier.

Recently, I've started jogging to get a healthier body. A lot of people say that I'm too skinny, so right now, as weird as it sounds, I'm trying to gain weight to get a more ideal body.

B) Skin Care
Get the right skin care catered to your skin type. I tried a lot of products before sticking with a certain set of skin care. I remember when I had so many pimples and my confidence level just dropped to the ground. So remember, sleep early, drink water and religiously apply skin care everyday!

C) Make up 
For me, natural beauty is nothing. (Unless you're Korean, and have done plastic surgeries to get that natural beauty!) I believe make up enhances your outlook and everyone should use it to get that confidence boost. However, remember, if your skin is breaking out or bad, make sure to do step one first which is skin care!

D) Look to good role models 
Find a few who has great style and outlook on life. It can be someone on the magazine or a celebrity or a blogger. Personally, I like Yutakis and Miyake from Singapore, Tsubasa/Milky bunny and Kat-tun from Japan and Taylor Swift and Demi Lovato from the States. It's a mixture of a lot of people but remember, don't copy - Find your OWN style in the midst!

3. Having great and understanding friends 
Having friends that will boost your morale when you're down and able to speak the truth with love, it's very important.

For example, while putting on double eyelid stickers, it might look weird. Let your friends know what you're doing. Good friends might laugh at first but they are definitely understanding of the whole process. Just know that the end results will definitely be worth it!

4. Set short-term Goals
Ok, it's quite cliché but it's true. Normally when I say I want good skin, it's a long term commitment. However, I set monthly short-term goals to see that my skin will clear. So every month, if I see improvement, I pat myself on the back. It  keeps the momentum going.

5. Patience
As you can see... It took me years before I finally found my style for fashion, make up and skin care. Patience really pays off!

Anyway, Good luck! I'm not perfect as well and trying! Let's 'Gambatte' together! :D

Let me know what you do to keep your skin healthy too or what products you would like me to try/review via Twitter @Linda_lim!

Labels: , ,

About the Writer

Hello! ♥ I'm Linda/Linn and I love to write on

☆ Make up
☆ Reviews
☆ Cosplay
☆ Fashion
☆ Dogs


Quick Facts:
1. I'm born in Canada, Living in Singapore Now
2. Makeup Style: Korean
3. Fashion: Japan/Korean/US
4. Fav. Singer: Demi Lovato
5. Most Active on Instagram

P.S: I'm *quite* Narcissistic (as you can probably tell)!
Contact Me

For product reviews, event invites, advertorials, sponsorships, giveaways or even *wink* love letters (haha), please email me at

linnhearts@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you (:
Instagram
Memory Lane



Credits
Layout and header image by mymostloved with base image, brushes and background.